Redaktør: TheRealEd

• Forfatter
  • besked

ril

• Highscores: 0
    Arcade winning challenges: 0

Re: DANISH PINBALL OPEN 2018

Indlægman 5. nov 2018 23:34

TheRealEd skrev:Det største (og måske) eneste problem, der var med formaterne, var ændringen af formatet i Second Chance i sidste øjeblik...
Den slags skal nok være bedre gennemtænkt på forhånd...
Men den har I helt sikkert allerede med som overvejelse...

Selvom Peter har svaret, vil jeg gerne uddybe lidt mere:
Vi havde under udarbejdelsen af tidsplanen, ikke lagt nok luft in til afviklingen af finaler i de andre turneringer (Side tuneringen og Glenns 1 Ball finale, mv.), hvilket er 100% min skyld. Valget var imellem, at forsøge at starte runde 4, og som tidsplanen så ud, så var de ikke engang sikkert at runde 3 kunne afvikles fuldt ud, eller melde ud, at runde 3 blev fuldt afviklet, med de forsinkelser de nu en gang måtte komme.

Med respekt for de udlændinge, der havde et fly, de skulle nå, og for at få det, jeg synes var mest fair for dem der deltog, valgte jeg at skære det ned til 3 runder, og melde det ud så tidligt som muligt, da det stod klart, at tidsplanen ikke ville holde. (Efter runde 2).

Som Peter skrev, så har vi noteret dette til næste gang, vi afholder en second chance turnering.
Brugeravatar

soren

• Geografisk sted: København

Indlægtirs 6. nov 2018 09:18

FlyveHest skrev:main som jo var head-to-head blev folk i samme runde rangeret efter placering i kvalifikationen

Jamen SLO havde ikke en bedre kvalifikation end jeg havde.
Brugeravatar

FlyveHest

• Geografisk sted: Ballerup, Danmark

Indlægtirs 6. nov 2018 11:46

Beklager, jeg så ikke lige at i lå lige efter kvallen, næste tiebreaker var flest 1. pladser, 2. pladser etc, og der har SLO en 1. plads på Taxi.

Sidste udligner ville have været IFPA rang.
Billede
Brugeravatar

soren

Indlægtirs 6. nov 2018 13:46

Javel så. Taxi siger du, var den ikke pillet helt ud.

drainmorten

Indlægons 7. nov 2018 10:29

Hi,
thought id give some claps and slaps after this years DPO, from Norway.

Claps:
Layout - I liked the new layout for the tournament, with the stage, live camera etc. Looked good. A little tight in secon chance between the outer Stern row and the wall, but it worked out.
Food and drinks - It was good, nice price for beers (which us norwegians like!) and good sandwiches and snacks.
Tournaments - Though I prefer matchplay tournaments, I knew what I was going to, so the format was okay. Second chance was cool.

Slaps (Danger danger tilt):
Alright, my main issue with DPO and something that killed much of the fun, was the incredibly uneccessary tight tilts. Come on. Come on! I played in Austria Pinball Open in September, and not only were the tilts tight, but all ball savers was off. I really liked it, a whole new dimension of suspense and strategy. So I have no issues with fairly tight tilts, which gives a danger for a good nudge save, and a tilt on the next one.

But the tilt settings in dpo is just, sorry for english, fucking stupid. First, people coming from abroad spending money on the tournament, flights, accomodation, use several attempts tilting out machines in main and side, while many if not most of pinlab players knows exactly what they can and can not do. I have a suggestion to help with this later.
Of course, a good player must adapt, but there is a difference between going full retard, and having a fairly tight tilt.

Also, I will quote the ifpapa directors notes:
1. " If a game is giving warnings from gentle shaking or the action of a moving part on the playfield, the tilt mechanism is likely set too tight.": Gentle shaking gave double warning or worst case tilt on many, of not most, of the stern machines.

2. "If a game is set so the tilt mechanism is too tight, the setup favors players with better aim. If the tilt is set too loose, the setup favors players with recovery or nudging skills. ": The machines were absolutely favoring those hitting every aim, and punishing those trying to save and recover from a failed shot.

3. "It is the tournament director’s primary function to help discover who is the best overall pinball player, not who has the best aim while delicately stroking the flipper buttons with a handful of feathers. Nudging has always been a part of pinball and should be respected as a critical skill."

So, I understand the need to reduce game time, but there are other ways to do this:
- remove outlane posts
- Fairly tight tilt but less tight than was at DPO
- remove ball save completely
- Add rubber feet so the games is much harder to slide
- make the slingshots really sensitive. This will also at the same time need players to use nudging technique to save it, so you need some leverage on the tilt.

I assume the ones setting the tilt are unwilling to take this critique, since the pinlab machines has a real bad rep for being unreasonably tight and tilty for years. But I would hope you would take this and at least readjust it somewhat. If not I really do not feel like travelling to DPO (or EPC next year) again or recommend others to go. It just kills all of the fun, and only favoring those with not having a nudgy/savy play style.

Suggestion further on, would be to have a small knockout tournament friday before the main and side tournaments. Many international players arrive on friday anyways, and it would give us a chance to get a feel for the machines before the counting attempts.

Also, second chance is a great tournament being more popular, I was only let down by cutting it down to 3 rounds. And some finals were playing while almost everyone in the second chance was hanging around, slightly bored and just waiting. That is my impression from those I talked to. Might as well played the the tird round while the first set of finals were played, and then had time for the fourth round.

Cheers,
Morten

ril

Indlægons 7. nov 2018 12:01

Hi Morten,

Thanks for your feedback.

I am glad, that you enjoyed our setup along with the food and the beer :)

We like tight tilt settings, but I would have to agree with you, that the tilt setting was to tight - at least on some of the machines. We will attempt to make sure, that doesn't happen again. And I would have to agree with you, that making a faster, is not only about tightening the tilt.

A fast tournament on Friday wasn't possible, since we were setting up machines and preparing for the tournament.

The pause in the second chance tournament is not something we will do again!

Jonas 'RIL' Heide
Brugeravatar

TheRealEd

Indlægons 7. nov 2018 14:22

I agree with all of Morten excellent points...

And as RIL says we set up Friday and maybe had too little time and/or hands to do so...

I was also shocked that there was no communication about Flipperkælderen's weekly Friday opening hours... And maybe they could had hosted a warm-up tournament, though it wouldn't have had the same effect as testing out the machines for DPO...

I am really sad to hear that Pinlab has a bad reputation and hope they will listen and make changes so the formats are not too tough that people from far won't bother coming...

I came to help as a non-organiser straight after work and was doing some of the game settings and tilt adjustments for the first time...
So I personally apologise for some of the tight tilts...
It turned out to be quite a challenge to set up a realistic tilt for a hectic tournament, while just standing there on your own slapping the machine a bit randomly around...
And YES, rubber feet are essential on that floor..!

Hopefully we have learned from our mistakes and will improve for EPC, which is a huge chance for Danish Pinball to host...
|×[ED ]×|
Foregående

Tilbage til Events